This article is part 2 of 3. The Perfect Life Calendar is designed to help you:
- Increase your productivity and earning potential on your Power Days.
- Improve your level of energy, focus and clarity by cleaning up messes and getting very organized on your Prep Days.
- Make more time for yourself, your friends and your family by scheduling and enjoying wonderful Perfect Days!
Understanding these three different types of days and focusing time for each type of day in your calendar, is a critical step, since your calendar will provide you a system to manage your time, focus and energies. Without this structure, you will find yourself overwhelmed and disorganized a sure path to failure.
In my first article, I suggested that you start by scheduling all your Perfect Days in advance. If you have not read last week’s article, you may want to click here first before continuing.
Your Prep Day: Your Prep Days are your days to organize, clean up messes, and clear out other obstacles to be prepared for your Power Days and Perfect Days. We will discuss the Power Day in next week’s article
In his book, The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People, Stephen Covey created a graph with four quadrants:
- Important and Urgent
- Important and Not Urgent
- Unimportant and Urgent
- Unimportant and Not Urgent
Take a moment right now, to write down all the tasks that you have hanging over your head. Make a list of everything in your life that you have been tolerating that is draining your energy, time and money.
- Where do most of them land on this list? First of all, anything that is on Quadrants 3 and 4 you want to imply cross out as a time waster. The items on Quadrant 1 need to be taken care of immediately since they are urgent. The items on Quadrant 2 are your opportunity.
Prioritize these items by listing them under 90 days, 30 days, 7 days or urgent.
- What items could be eliminated, delegated or outsourced?
- The more you can free up your time to focus on the things you do best, that generate revenue and increase your energy the better.
- Do you have an assistant who can handle administrative tasks?
Schedule your Prep Days now.
- You should already have your Perfect Days in your calendar. Remember, your goal was to schedule these first.
- Now it’s time to schedule the days where you will be planning, organizing and preparing for great Power Days. In the beginning, you will have more Prep Days, and as you get better at delegating, you will begin to have more and more Perfect Days for vacations, family and yourself…and more days to focus on your unique abilities and talents.
Segmenting your days into Prep, Power and Perfect is much more efficient than doing a little bit of this and a little bit of that each day. This is what my typical week looks like:
- Prep Days: Monday and Friday are my days for organizing, bookkeeping, follow up and preparing for fabulous Power and Perfect Days!
- Power Days: Tuesday (marketing day), Wednesday (writing day) and Thursday (coaching day)
- Perfect Days: Saturday and Sunday are my time to rejuvenate, play and spend time with my family.
Take some time now to look at your calendar and think about how your Perfect Week would look. In my next article, I will talk to you about Power Days which are your money days — when you are focused on your unique abilities and talents!
This is a great time to also pull out your new 2011 calendar and begin to block out all your Perfect Days (remember you do these first) and then your Prep Days. This will leave you with your Power Days…and I will let you in on a big secret that may surprise you in my next article!
Happy New Year!
Katana Abbott, CFP, CSA
Founder and CEO
Midlife Millionaire Mentor