Posts Tagged ‘life purpose’
I just finished the book called, “How to Retire Happy, Wild and Free.” In this book, Zelinski suggests retiring as soon as possible while you are still young and healthy and then finding ways to enjoy your retirement more by discovering your life purpose, pursuing hobbies and enriching your life. If you do work part-time in retirement, he suggests doing something that you love regardless of the pay.
While his book is focused on how to enjoy your retirement more, I have been inspired to use some of his suggestions for women in midlife who are still working but feel that they are really ready to write that next chapter of their lives. I have found that often when a woman has reached 40-50, if she has not found something that she is passionate about in her career; it begins to affect her entire life. Imagine what it would be like if you could create the ideal life of your dreams working at something that you love.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Are you crazy about your job?
- Do you wake up excited every day — passionate about your life?
- If money and time were no issue, would you still be doing what you are doing?
If you answered “no” to any of these questions, you may be ready for a major change. Zelinski states, “A few individuals are lucky enough to have had their career work and some passionate pursuit be one and the same. Thus, they can continue happily working part-time in their field well past retirement, without having to discover their true calling. Unfortunately, this is not true for most of us.”
Whether you are looking to retire early, change careers, start your own business or just want to make your life more interesting, consider doing some soul searching or assessments to discover your true passion in life.
There was a point in my life when I was working in a regular job, working 60 hours a week, day after day doing the same thing over and over. I hated it. I used to wake up and look at my husband and say, “Gotta make the donuts.” I cannot imagine living that way again.
How many of these statements reflect the way you feel right now about your work?
- I hate going to work and cannot wait to retire
- I spend everything I make and refuse to look at my investment statements.
- I hardly ever take a vacation. When I do, it takes me a long time to relax.
- I have no hobbies or interests outside work.
- I have no time for exercise or taking care of myself.
- Most of my best friends are from work and I don’t even like them that much!
- Most of my social functions are work related.
- I am proud to be a workaholic even though I know I am not that productive
- When I am home, I am restless or exhausted and can’t even imagine starting a hobby.
- I have a book in me that I would love to write some day, but know that I will never have the time.
If your work is running your life, consider the idea of reinventing your life to one filled with passion–where you can wake up every morning excited to start the day! It is possible, but it will take some work on your part to make it happen.
Life is too short to live without passion and purpose. I have seen too many individuals work right up to 60 or 65 only to discover that their health is gone and with it–their dreams. One of my neighbors had been working overtime, six days a week, to maximize his pension. He was going to retire at 60 only he never made it—he died of a heart attack while driving home from work. He and his wife had a financial plan and she will be fine financially, but what good is a bunch of money if your dreams are crushed? Could he have retired 10 years earlier; could he have found something else to do for the last 10 years that was good for his health — that he loved doing and perhaps could do for the next 20 years if he chose? I believe the answer is “yes”.
Since it is very difficult to spend your last nickel with your last breath, it’s important to have a plan. I love the idea of retiring as soon as possible to pursue your passion and even earning an income from this passion! I have discovered this secret for myself and am in the process of creating multiple streams of passive income.
Begin to envision your ideal life…what would you do for free…what gets you excited and how would you like to spend the rest of your life? Journal about this and write down what would have to happen in your life to make this a reality.
Certified Financial Planner®, Katana Abbott, is a Life Purpose and Legacy Wealth Coach and founder of the Six Pillars of Awakened Prosperity System™, the proven step-by-step process that shows you exactly how to create wealth, make a difference and live the life you love. To get your F.R.E.E. Video Course and receive her weekly money, mindset and manifesting articles on attracting more wealth, joy and ease into your life!
Have you ever seen something going on that was just wrong and thought, “Someone should do something about that”? We’ve all had those moments of frustration knowing that we can’t make a difference all by our selves, so we simply stand back and wait to see what happens.
Well today, I want to tell you that you can make a difference. I know so many women who have done so too, like my radio show co-host, Vicky Trabosh, who went to Rwanda simply because she heard a woman’s personal story about the atrocity that happened there, and because the women’s name was Rita – the same as her late mother’s, she saw it as a sign and took off for Rwanda.
Today, Vicky runs a nonprofit called, Itafari.org and has a school there where they educate children so they can go on to college and transform not only their own lives, but their family legacy and their communities. Vicky’s made a huge difference, raising over $500,000 for her community in Rwanda, changing lives one Itafari (brick) at a time!
Carol Walters has made a difference by helping children. She is the founder of the Womenscaringprogram.org where 30 years ago she started with just 3 women and asked them to bring two others with them. The group has grown to over 1000 women raising funds for children’s organizations.
I live next to Dodge Park which was given to Commerce Township by Matilda Dodge. She made a difference when she left her land in trust to be enjoyed by the community. Somehow, however, the government was going to put a freeway through her gorgeous park. The environmentalist were able to stop it, but the land was now up for grabs, and the developers got a hold of it and were going to turn her beautiful park into condos.
This is when my friend, Kathleen Brown (AKA the Tree Witch) stepped up and decided they were not going to destroy her “cathedral of trees”. She asked me to join her, and so we began collecting signatures, called the media, our state representatives, and after a lot of hard work, and some magic from our fabulous township Commissioner, Tom Zoner, the park is now saved.
Today, I want to share three simple tips with you on how you too can make a difference:
- Step 1: Find something you are passionate about. If something grabs you like it did Kathleen, or you experience something tragic and feel moved to make a statement or impact. Don’t wait, step forward. It might feel scary at first, but this is when the magic begins and the Universe begins steps into help you.
- Step 2: Start small. Take baby steps like Kathleen and I did with the park. We simply started a petition. Once we had the signatures, we had power. Then we went to the adjacent gun club and asked them, “How would they like a huge condo development next door, complaining about the noise every weekend?” Now we had not only our list, but their entire list of members. That’s powerful.
- Step 3: Get support. Reach out to your friends and people they know asking for the help you need. In our case, I reached out to my friend at Fox News, Monica Gail, who lived in the community right next door to rally the media. We also reached out to our local state representatives and invited them to the meeting with Multi Lakes Gun Club and then of course we created a media event.
Somehow, everything worked out perfectly, and our wonderful county commissioner, Tom Zoner, purchased the land back and today we have a wonderful park with concerts, soccer, nature trails and of course Kathleen’s beautiful “cathedral of trees”.
You to CAN make a difference! We’d love to hear from you in the area below something you have done that may have taken you out of your comfort zone, and how it all came together in the long run to transform lives and make a difference.
We have all said to ourselves one-time-or-another, “If only this had not happened, my life would have been so much better or different.” Think about it. Then we sit there and regret the bad experience that we had, brooding about it and mulling it over in our heads over and over, until it becomes “our story” Here are some sentence starters…you can fill in the rest:
- If only I had finished college, then
- If only I hadn’t married him, then
- If only I had left earlier, then
- If only I had been stricter with her, then
- If only I had never let him into our lives, then
- If only I had stayed where I was, I would never have
We’ve all done this at one time or another, right? Now take a look at these two quotes below and think about what you have learned from those experiences…
- “Never regret. If its good, it’s wonderful. If it’s bad, it’s experience.” ~ Victoria Holt
- “One can never change the past, only the hold it has on you.” ~ Merle Shain
Do you feel a shift? What if you could take every single bad experience in your life and find the gift in it? What amazing things did you learn? Who else did you meet from that experience? How has it made you who you are? How much wiser are you? What can you do with what you learned from this experience?
Do you know that many people actually discover their life purpose during their most desperate hours. It’s during these dark times, that they discover their strength and unique abilities, they find out just how tough and smart they are, they discover things about themselves that never would have been exposed otherwise. It’s in these experiences, that my clients often find their niche or who they are to serve or their big WHY in their business and what makes them unique and the “Expert”.
I call it Your MBA in Life Experience. And often when you end up with debt from your mistakes – shift the energy there as part your your tuition…again part of the MBA of life. See how that works for you.
Get out a pen and paper, and break your lifetime out into decades like this:
- 1958 – 1968 Ages 1-10
- 1969 – 1979 Ages 11-21 (and so on)
No go through each decade and write down the significant events and experiences that happened to you, how they affected and transformed your life and made you who you are today. I did this a while back and it was life changing. One of the most amazing things I learned from doing this for myself was how my early childhood expierences really created the groundwork for almost everything that I am doing today. I could never had learned these things in school, and every single step, mistake, experience (good and bad) were all part of this amazing dance.
We all know that when we are learning to dance that sometimes the music is fabulous and other times, it’s just not right. Sometimes, we are spinning with joy and other times, we get our toes stepped on…and of course there are the times we fall flat on our face. What’s the secret? It’s to learn from all of this and to be grateful for every single moment because at one point, we reach mastery and we are at the top of our game and everything is flowing and it all makes sense. Yes, it can take months, years, even a full lifetime, but it’s all perfect.
When I discovered the gift, I became a contributing author in the book, “Thank God I – Volume 2″ and my chapter was, “Thank God I Was Abused”. I was able to find the gift in being abandoned and abused. I was able to heal and then use that experience to create wealth for myself and others all while making a difference in the world. Now what could be more perfect than that?
Please take some time to do this exercise and share your experiences below. We would love to hear from you and learn about your soul’s journey!
If you feel inspired and are ready to take a huge leap in your life, feel free to contact me at www.talkwithkatana.com
Last weekend, my husband and I finally buried my mother’s ashes in the rose garden I created for her the summer after her death in 2010. All this time, her ashes have been stored in my china cabinet and for some reason, I had never ‘buried her’.
This spring, I noticed that the yellow rose bush I had planted in her honor had died. The garden center said that the yellow roses are not as hardy as other colors and that this is common. I took it as a sign that it was time to take care of this loose end.
We found a gorgeous rose bush and placed her ashes at the base. As the roots grow, my mother’s ashes will merge with this gorgeous rose bush. Did I say my mother’s name is Rose? It felt good completing this project. There was closure and a sense of peace.
Where in your life are you experiencing loose ends – things left undone or incomplete? If you are like many creative people – and I am one of them – you may be full of ideas, a great multi-tasker – with many projects going on at one time.
This kind of behavior creates an adrenaline rush and it can be very addictive. If you find yourself pushing deadlines to the last minute, running late, taking risks, you may actually be addicted to the adrenaline rush and not even be aware of it. It’s like a caffeine rush and it can become very exhausting, create overwhelm, drain your confidence and ultimately destroy your health.
In 2013, my motto became “Do Less and Enjoy More”. Below is the process I used to stay focused and confident. Consider taking out a sheet of paper or your journal and follow these steps below:
- Get a clear vision: What’s really important to you in your life, your family and with your soul? What really brings you joy and makes you jump out of bed in the morning? Not that adrenaline high, but the joy that comes from being present and feeling gratitude for everything in your life.
- Take a look at where your life needs attention: Take a look at your health, your money situation, your relationship with your family, your friends, how you show up in the world and how you are caring for yourself. What is draining your energy, your confidence and your happiness? What are you tolerating that is no longer serving you? What would you like to release, heal, change, shift?
- Eliminate: Look at everything on your plate and eliminating everything on the list that doesn’t even matter. What can you release – get rid of and simply let go of. This could be huge and simple. How many things do we have on our list that simply don’t matter, have any real benefit? Maybe it’s just a habit. This could also be stuff or people that we can simply release from our lives.
- Delegate: Are there things that you can ask someone else to do like cleaning the house, running errands, or work that you aren’t good at and could outsource to someone who loves it?
- Prioritize: You should now have a shorter list. Take a look at what’s left and prioritize in two areas.
- What are the things that bring you the most joy and that make you the most money? Now focus on these first. It will increase your energy and income immediately. You want to focus 80% of your time on this area.
- What are the things that are simply loose ends, unfinished projects, organizing, filing, bookkeeping, thank you notes, or just simplifying and creating systems. Schedule specific days to take care of these items.
If you would like help with getting clear on your vision and purpose, empower your relationship with money, build your confidence and clarity by creating systems to simplify your life and your business, feel free to book an initial Prosperity Coaching session with me. The first one is FREE so you can see what the process is like! www.talkwithkatana.com
Also, if you haven’t done so yet, take my free video course, “Breakthrough Your Fears and Step Into Your Brilliance“. It includes 100 Days of Inspiration and a 6 page workbook to help you build your confidence and create wealth! www.SmartWomensCoaching.com
As an entrepreneur, I absolutely love working from home. I spent my first 10 years working from my car, door to door in sales, and the next 20 in a corner office in corporate. My dream was to turn my vocation into my vacation, so I have created a new work environment that for me is perfect.
I live on a lake and am surrounded by gardens at the end of a private road, so I have peace and serenity. During the long winter months, I lead spiritual life purpose and adventure retreats to Costa Rica. My husband and I even have a villa in Panama five weeks out of the year…again, surrounded by rain forest, ocean and serenity.
This was no accident. My husband and I have worked very hard over the years to be able to live this lifestyle today. We created our first financial plan in our 20s, began investing into our retirement plans, and have been very thoughtful about our relationship with money.
Through my husband’s career, he has provided the health insurance and his retirement, includes a pension plan. These have been a foundational piece of our financial planning. This gave me the opportunity to take more risks and become an entrepreneur.
I think owning a business is one of the best ways to create wealth. It is not, however, for the faint of heart or for those with little or no funding. Studies show that many women use their savings, even 401 (k) plans where they are hit with penalties and taxes or even their credit cards to fund their businesses. To do this right, it will take planning, time and money to create a truly successful business.
Almost every successful entrepreneur has experienced all or most of these steps in creating a successful business:
- Worked very, very hard doing what others refuse to do to make it work.
- Stepped out of their comfort zone and take risks.
- Hired a consultant or coach who so they could “learn the system” saving years and years of trial and error.
- Experienced huge failures, lost money, made money, lost it again — but they did not give up, and they finally figured it out.
According to GoForFunding, many women entrepreneurs are an average age of 40-60 years old because they have had previous careers in other areas. Their primary goal is not monetary reward but rather personal satisfaction and community involvement. Many of them are educated and assemble into groups in order to pool business ideas and resources together. This is the idea behind our free Smart Women’s Coaching Community. You don’t need to do this alone. If you aren’t a member of our free community yet, you can join us now by visiting SmartWomensCoaching.com
Being an entrepreneur is very rewarding. I believe it’s one of the best ways to actually get paid to do what you love while making a difference in the world. The secret is:
- creating systems
- leveraging a team
- and creating a business that can run without you or at least virtually!
If you want to talk about your dream, feel free to schedule a complementary session with me at www.talkwithkatana.com This is my passion, and my purpose in life so I’d love to hear from you!
Let’s assume you have your fun list. The question then becomes, how do you make time for all of this fun, especially when our lives are already so busy?
First of all, I want to emphasize the importance of including Fun into your life every day. How often do you spend your day operating from a state of auto pilot, that you totally miss out on even the simple pleasures of life?
One of the easiest ways to “find more time for fun” is to simply learn how to be present or in the moment. Science shows that we spend 95% of our time operating from our subconscious mind, or from a state of auto pilot, and only 5% in our conscious mind. I remember driving my car while talking on the phone one time, only to find that I had missed my exit miles and miles back and I had no idea where I even was anymore. I’ll bet you have had a similar experience. I certainly wasn’t driving consciously.
Secret #1: Spend more time in your Conscious State of Mind:
- By simply learning how to become conscious or present, you will expand time simply because you will be able to enjoy more of it. For example, when you are walking, sitting in a meeting or or at your computer, simply notice your breathing and your body. Notice what is going on around you. Notice smells, sounds, and sights. Stop day dreaming and stay in your body. Starting your day out with meditation or yoga or a simple walk where you are really conscious can really help you become more mindful for the rest of the day.
Secret #2: Find ways to Combine Activities:
- When you look at your Fun List, identify ways to combine activities like fitness, family, friends, hobbies, travel, freedom and even work. I call this system the Perfect Life Filter and here is an example: I need to exercise and I love going to yoga, so I could invite my daughter or a friend to join me for yoga. This way, I can spend time with my loved ones and also create time for self care. One of my favorite ways I have combined my Fun List is by leading my Costa Rica Retreat which allows me to travel and experience adventure, yoga, nature, spirituality, fresh tropical fruits and to play with my friends and clients all in a tropical paradise. How can you do this for yourself with your list?
Secret #3: Take out your Calendar and Schedule It:
- Bestselling author, Harv Eker, has a story about filling up a big jar with these containers of water, sand and rocks. If you don’t do the process in the right order, all three items won’t fit. The secret is starting with the “big rocks”, then sand, and finally the water. His analogy of the adding the Big Rocks first has to do with planning your most important events first and this is the time for self care, loved ones and fun. I use a similar process in my Perfect Life Time System which is a time system I have used for 10 years made up of Perfect Days, Prep Days and Power Days. In my system, I suggest planning all your Perfect Days first because these are the days that will keep you rejuvenated, healthy and happy. They are the days you are focused on self care, family and fun.
So have Fun with this process. Stay mindful, combine your fun activities and be sure to schedule your perfect days and big rocks! Enjoy!
Each week, Vicky and I interview the most amazing men and women on our weekly radio show, Smart Women Talk. Last week, our guest was Expert Celebrity Branding and Writing Coach, Ruth Klein, and her topic was “How to Become an Expert Celebrity & Get Your Book Published”.
Ruth is a six time bestselling author who helps individuals become thought leaders while bringing their messages to the world. I was excited to have her back to the show to share her wisdom, because so many women I meet seem to have a book inside of them, but have no idea where to start.
Writing the book is an issue in itself. Many people choose to write the book first, and then look for a publisher or simply self publish. Each of these options can work, but you need to have a clear action plan. Ruth recommends writing a comprehensive “Book Proposal” which includes a marketing plan and your platform, as well as book comparisons, endorsements, and sample chapters.
This is the process she has used to become a six time bestselling published author and she not only teaches this process, but actually takes individuals to the Book Expo each year to pitch their book proposals to publishers. I did this in 2008 with two of my associates from Michigan who both ended up getting published. Take a look at their books which have taken on a life of their own.
- Elder Law attorneys, Andy and Danielle Mayoras, Trial and Heirs: Famous Fortune Fights. Notice the powerful branding. They wanted to create a way for families to begin the conversation on estate planning while positioning themselves as the experts in this arena. They have been extremely successful and were even featured in a PBS special.
- International leadership guru, Anne Doyle, Powering Up already had a huge platform, and used her book to take her leadership message to thousands of women around the world.
The book expo was a catalyst for all of this and an amazing experience meeting with agents, acquisition editors and seeing the publishing business up close.
One of the things that Ruth talked about on the show was creating your soul centered brand and becoming an “Expert Celebrity”. All of this has to do with your Platform and includes:
- What is your expertise and credentials?
- How many people can you reach?
Another one of my friends just received a publishing deal with Hay House, including an advance, and it looks like they have already asked her to write her next book. One of her secrets is the huge platform she has created through her network, including the assurance that we will all help her promote her book when the time comes. Publishers want to get their investment back when they give you an advance.
If you missed the show last week, and want to listen, just click the link here to listen to the replay. Don’t forget to Subscribe to Smart Women Talk through iTunes and access all 157 shows for free!
I am sooooo excited that Ruth has created a Free Video Series for us: The Anatomy of a Book Proposal, click here to access it now!
Ruth has also offered a complimentary consultation for those who want to talk to her personally or may even want to join her in NYC May 30-31. Email her at Rklein@ruthklein.com and add Smart Women to the subject line to learn more.
By Michelle Hutchinson
When I first made the decision that I was going to leave the corporate world and build my own business I thought “How hard can it really be? So many are doing it and making money.” My reality was quickly shattered when I realized everything that had to go into this venture. So when I found Katana and Smart Women’s Coaching® I was relieved. Here was someone who could help me.
Some of you may know this story but in the beginning I was Katana’s client. She was helping me build a business around training and efficiency, which is my specialty. It only took about 4 sessions together to realize that we would make a bigger impact if we partnered our skills.
Katana refers to this as Front Stage/Back Stage. We both have our areas where our skills are strong and areas where our skills are a little lack. So partnering really made sense. In fact, this concept of Front Stage/Back Stage is the exact process she used to create a million dollar business that ran without her, so she could retire at 48 to create the Smart Women’s Coaching Programs®.
So when I hear the word Solo-preneur I want to laugh. This word should not exist. You can’t do it alone. Let me repeat that…You cannot do it alone. There is so much to do with marketing, branding, attracting clients, and all the social media to name a few. Then there’s product creation and scheduling clients, teleseminars, Webinars….the list goes on.
And what about your mind-set? Who is there for you when you feel overwhelmed and can’t go on? Some of you may have spouses and friends that can help but they may not even understand what you’re going through. Ahhhhh
I don’t want to scare anyone – in fact what I aim to do is encourage you. Your decision to be an entrepreneur is an admirable one. You have a dream and you’re going for it and that should be commended. You’re an inspiration to others and building a path for future generations to follow in your footsteps. Good for you!
You’re an inspiration to others and building a path for future generations to follow in your footsteps.
My point is that if you consider yourself a “solopreneur” then stop. Find someone who compliments what you offer and build a partnership. For many coaches and entrepreneurs they have an ongoing stream of ideas and dreams but no one to carry them out. In that case you may need a VA or consider partnering with someone who has the skills that you lack.
You may be thinking ‘but I can’t afford that right now’, then I ask you to do this exercise:
- Go through a typical day or week and keep track of what you’re doing.
- Categorize the activities by “Tasks that I’m good at that make me money” and “Tasks that drain my energy and do not make me money”
- Take the second draining category and multiply that time by what you charge.
- This amount will tell you how much of your valuable time is wasted doing things that you do not enjoy and do not bring money into your business.
Example: 2 hours a day x 5 days a week = 10 hours a week wasted x $125 a hour = $1250 a week in wasted hours. Do you think you can find someone to work for 10 hours for less than $1250 a week?
You may be surprised that there are people out there who enjoy doing the things that you don’t like. And you may find that there are people out there who quiver at the thought of doing the things that you love. That’s exactly what Katana and I found. Some of the things that she enjoys doing, simply drains my energy thinking about them, let alone doing them. In return I have taken over many of the tasks that drain her energy. It’s a total win/win and we love it!
So reach out to others. Find a network of people either locally or globally for support. There are many Facebook groups and organizations that connect people. To name just a few, check out the iCoach Network, The Thrive Hive, and SheNowOrg.
And of course there’s Smart Women’s Coaching. We love to promote and help others succeed so if you’re not currently receiving our ezines please sign up at smartwomenscoaching.com , be part of our Smart Women movement and share this with your friends.
Please do not give up your dreams. In the very successful book Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill he says “Temporary defeat is not permanent failure. It may only mean that your plan wasn’t sound. Build other plans and start over again.”
When you’re done figuring out what doesn’t work the next logical step is figuring out what does. Good luck to you and keep dreaming!
The Shift Network is hosting the Inspiring Women Summit 2013. Click the link below to register and learn more.
Written by Michelle Hutchinson
March is National Women’s History Month and Smart Women’s Coaching® has spent each day this month honoring inspirational women who have paved the way
for the rest of us. We’ve been posting them to our Facebook page and Twitter. Unfortunately, there are only 31 days in March and obviously more than 31 amazing women in history, so we won’t be able to cover everyone. We welcome you to add to the list by commenting below though.
There are no criteria to be on the list – except that they’re all women and they’ve all done something to open the doors for other women to pass through. Now, not every inspirational woman opened a specific career path for you but they all do have something in common and that is they didn’t give up. They likely took on a male dominated field and broke down the door to make their presence known.
Let’s take Sally Ride for example. Some of you may remember that Sally Ride was the first female astronaut who traveled to space on the Challenger in 1983. Sally may not have inspired a lot of girls to join the NASA program, but the fact that she took on a very male dominated field and won showed commitment, confidence, and a belief that she had what it took to travel in space. That alone is incredibly inspirational and I admire that.
Personally, I am inspired by those who don’t give up and never stop believing in themselves. One of my favorite stories is J.K. Rowling who was a divorced singled mother on welfare struggling to get by while writing a novel. She sold “a few” books about a wizard, maybe you’ve heard of them, and became the first novelist billionaire.
Another story of perseverance is Kathryn Stockett. If you’re not sure who that is she is the author of the incredibly successful book “The Help” which spent over 30 weeks on the New York Times best-seller list and turned into a successful movie that earned a few awards. Kathryn says she received like 60 rejection letters before someone agreed to take on her story. How many would you have received before giving up?
And probably one of the women I truly look to for inspiration is Oprah Winfrey. I don’t necessarily admire her for having a television show; I admire her for her drive. Did you know that she was fired from one of her first jobs because they told her she was “unfit for TV”? You know that manager is probably kicking himself today. She had a childhood that most may not recover from but she persevered and it has paid off. She always believed in herself and what she had to offer the world and never stopped trying.
Whenever I feel like I’m so close to succeeding but not sure if I can do it I ask myself…WWOD – What Would Oprah Do? It always reminds me that if you believe in yourself others will too.
It’s not difficult to find a woman out there who inspires you and provides you with the motivation and drive to move towards your goal. She doesn’t have to be famous; she could be as close to home as a family member or friend. The important thing is you have someone to look to when you question your own path.
So here’s what I ask of you:
- Share a story below of someone who inspires you and honor them.
- Strive to become that woman for someone else.
- Make sure your path is leaving doors wide open to the next generation of amazing girls.
- Share this article.
Written by guest contributor Michelle Hutchinson
My daughter and I play a game on our iPad called Sims FreePlay™. I’m sure you’ve heard of this game. It’s where you build a computer animated town and fill it with people – or Sims™ as they are called. Each person has their own personality, house, wardrobe, hobby, and career. You advance through the game by increasing skills in your hobby and your career and gain money and lifestyle points along the way. The more you practice your hobby the more lifestyle points you earn and the more you practice your career skills the more advance you become and the more money you make. Sounds a little like real life, doesn’t it?
For example, one career in our town is a Firefighter. To become the Fire Chief they must practice this skill over and over so they can advance to the next level. There are other careers in this town but it wouldn’t do this particular Sim™ any good to practice one of the other trades – because they are a firefighter. They need to keep their focus on firefighting. The Jack of all Trades career is not an option in this game, nor should it be in real life.
There’s a lot we could learn from this animated town. For one, the more we practice and engage in our hobbies and friends the more lifestyle points we earn and the happier we are. And two, the more we practice and stick to our specific job the more we advance in that career. Our Sims don’t have a choice of what career path they must follow, I assign one to them. You, however, do have the option to choose.
Do you love your job and the career path you’re on? Then follow it and practice getting better at that job. Take training, read books, get more involved and gain the skills needed to make that career even better. You may have many skills, don’t we all, but hone in on one in particular and then become the expert that other people come to and that you become known for.
On the other hand, what if you say you don’t like your current job or career path? Then ask yourself, why would you spend any time getting better at something you don’t even enjoy? Why not take that energy and focus on something that makes you happy. There must be something in your current job that you like or are good at or you would have never been hired. What is it? Can you take that skill and make something out of it?
I’ll give you an example. I use to drag myself into work every day. Even though at one point I really enjoyed my job, I had grown to dread Mondays. When I finally made that decision that I was no longer going to settle in my life, I took a moment to identify that part of my job that I liked and that I was naturally great at. It turned out to be efficiency. I was really good at helping the other departments streamline their processes and save time. I enjoyed helping them. This became the one skill that I was going to focus on and become the expert that people would know me for. And that’s what I’ve done.
Ask yourself these questions:
- What is it that you want to do with your life?
- What would it take for you to wake up on Monday happy and ready to start your week?
- What is it that you could do all day and just completely lose track of time?
- Now identify how can you make money doing that.
The Law of Attraction says that what you focus on you’ll receive more of. So if your focus is on hating your job, that’s what you will get more of – hating your job.
So make your focus “loving what you do” and just imagine what you’ll begin receiving.
The exercises in this workbook will help you identify what your unique abilities and strengths are, and may even help you identify your new career path.